PowerVault MD3xxx Software Release
When: Release to Web March 13th, 2012
Where: Software Release on the Web ( Links provided below)
The Dell PowerVault MD Team is Pleased to Announce a Suite of SW Tools
Designed to Optimize Virtualization Deployments with Dell PowerVault MD32 / MD36 Array’s and VMware vSphere
- vCenter Plug-in for VMWARE vCenter 4.1 and vCenter 5.0
- Support for VASA – vSphere Storage APIs for Storage Awareness on vSphere 5.0
- Storage Replication Adapter (SRA) for VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) 4.1 and 5
vCenter Plug-in for VMWARE vCenter 4.1 and vCenter 5.0
The Dell PowerVault MD32/MD36 Plug-In for VMware vCenter provides VMware administrators with powerful capabilities designed to increase their productivity and simplify their jobs.
Provisioning additional storage for virtual machines quickly
- Enabling an end-to-end view for VMware to storage from a virtual machine, host, storage system or volume perspective
- Describing current conditions in easy-to-understand terms
- Responding better to SLA and Quality-of-Service issues
- Employing RAID Protection
- Ensuring availability of sufficient disk space
Support for VASA – vSphere Storage APIs for Storage Awareness – on vSphere 5.0
VASA enables unprecedented coordination between vSphere/VCenter and Dell PowerVault MD32/MD36 storage arrays.
Enables MD32/36 storage arrays to pass key storage attributes such as disk drive type, RAID configurations, and snapshot reserve space to VMware vSphere 5.0
- Built-in storage insight in vCenter to support intelligent VM storage provisioning
- Enhances storage troubleshooting
- Enable new DRS-related use cases for storage.
- Facilitate vSphere to intelligently and automatically place the right virtual machines on the right storage tier to ensure SLA adherence and optimal performance.
Storage Replication Adapter (SRA) for VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) 4.1 and 5.0
Site Recovery Manager (SRM) is a plug-in for vCenter that resides on both the primary and the recovery site. SRM and vCenter at the primary site coordinate with vCenter and SRM residing at the recovery site to simplify and automate disaster recovery.
- Facilitate bringing an entire virtual environment from one location to another (Failover) and back (Failback).
- Provide cost-effective and easy-to-configure replication over any distance using existing Fibre channel and IP networks
- Centralizes configuring a DR plan run book and allows for the testing of the plan without causing any impact to the production environment.
- Allows SRM to coordinate the SAN-based replication of VMware storage volumes.
- NOTE – SRA is only available for the PowerVault MD3600f/MD3620f Fibre Channel Arrays